Pronouncing Bowie

Thu Dec 9 16:32:33 UTC 2004

David Bowie <db.list at PMPKN.NET> writes:

Maryland had two governors Bowie--and Oden Bowie was apparently good enough
at it during his one term in office (1869-1872) to have not one, but two
towns named for him (Bowie and Odenton).
 <<<<<

At some point during the 20 years I lived in Massachusetts, I heard or read
the following:

"Endicott Peabody was the only governor of Massachusetts to have two towns
named after him." [Endicott and Peabody, named for two patrician families.]

"Three. You forgot Marblehead."

"Four. *You* forgot Athol."   /'ae th o:l/

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]