ADS Annual Meeting - General Information

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 9 17:28:32 UTC 2004

Here at last is the full statement about hotel, luncheon, reception, etc.,
etc. for our annual meeting. It will be posted soon on the ADS website. Come to
Oakland, only a 12 minute BART ride from the City! - Allan Metcalf, ADS
executive secretary

HOTEL: All sessions will be held at the Marriott Oakland City Center, 1001
Broadway, Oakland, CA 94607; phone 510-451-4000. The hotel features an exercise
room, heated outdoor pool and a full service business center. It’s across the
street from Oakland’s Chinatown in one direction and the Old Oakland Historic
District in the other.

Rooms at the Marriott are available at the special rate of $95 per night,
single or double. Call 1-800-991-7249 between 6 a,m. and 11 p.m. Pacific Standard
Time and ask for the “LSA 2005 Annual Meeting” rate. Reservations are
subject to availability if received after December15.

LUNCHEON: For $30 inclusive (check or cash to American Dialect Society),
members and friends are welcome at the ADS Annual Luncheon to be held at Toppers,
atop the Marriott, at 12:15 p.m. Saturday, January 8. The “plated” luncheon
(that term means it’s served to you) is called “Sun and Sea” and includes a
salad with Leaves of Butter Lettuce, Sun-dried Tomato, Roast Vegetables, Grilled
Garlic Chicken and Fire Seared Prawns with Spicy Orange Vinaigrette; Bakery
Rolls, Butter, Freshly Brewed Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Iced and Hot Teas;
and for dessert, Lemon Zest Brulee Tart. It’s also available in a vegetarian
version—just make your preference known in advance.

Food for thought: Speaker at the luncheon will be ADS President Michael
Montgomery of the University of South Carolina: “The Voices of My Ancestors.”

Reservations: If possible, please make reservations in advance with ADS
Executive Secretary Allan Metcalf at Aallan at aol.com. It’s usually possible to
accommodate last-minute latecomers, but advance reservations help ensure that there
will be enough for all.

REGISTRATION: As guests of the Linguistic Society, we must register with
them. Thankfully, ADS members may register at the LSA members’ rate, even if not
LSA members. See the LSA website at www.lsadc.org for details.

ADS registration: Additional and entirely optional, but those who attend ADS
sessions are encouraged to register with the ADS Executive Secretary for $20,
students $10. This helps defray the cost of our BYOB reception and earns you a
distinctive decoration for your LSA badge.

BYOB Reception: After the Friday voting on Words of the Year, you’re invited
to our annual Bring Your Own Book reception from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in Toppers,
atop the Marriott. We’ll have tables available to display your books while
you enjoy wine, cheese, soft drinks, crudités, and the view.

Words of the Year: As we have done every year since 1990, on Friday we will
look back at the preceding year and choose Words of the Year, much as Time
magazine chooses a person of the year—words that are new, or newly notable, or
otherwise especially characteristic of the year. To nominate a word in advance,
send it to Wayne Glowka, chair of the ADS New Words Committee, at
wayne.glowka at gcsu.edu. The nominating convention is at 10:30 a.m. Friday, and the final
vote at 5:30 p.m. that day (see schedule below). All members and friends are
invited to participate.

NOMINATIONS for ADS offices: Elections take place at the Annual Business
Meeting on Saturday morning. The Nominating Committee announces the following
candidates:
William A. Kretzschmar, Jr., University of Georgia: Vice President for the
years 2005-06, to succeed to the presidency for the years 2007-08.
Patricia Cukor-Avila, University of North Texas: Executive Council member for
the years 2005-08.
Erik Thomas, North Carolina State University: Nominating Committee for the
years 2005-06.
Additional nominations may be made by a petition signed by at least ten
members in good standing, to be received by the Executive Secretary not later than
15 days before the annual meeting—that is, December 22, 2004. Petitions should
be addressed to Allan Metcalf, English Department, MacMurray College, 447
East College Ave., Jacksonville, Illinois 62650.

Future Annual Meetings: We will follow LSA to the Albuquerque Hyatt Jan. 5-8,
2006; the New York Hilton Jan. 4-7, 2007, and the Chicago Hilton Jan. 3-6,
2008.