More on Wolof "hip"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 9 21:36:42 UTC 2004

At 4:02 PM -0500 12/9/04, Wilson Gray wrote:
>On Dec 9, 2004, at 3:11 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>>that "toke" is more likely from Span. toccare, etc.
>>etc.
>>
>>Larry
>
>I assume that "toccare" is a lapsus digiti for "tocar." And, FWIW, if
>it is from Spanish, it's
>more likely to be from some variety of North-American Spanish than from
>Castilian.
>-Wilson

Oops.  Lapsus mentalis, more like.  It's actually an application of
the well known rule of "_tocar_, from Vulgar Latin *" deletion on my
part.  This is AHD3 speaking, and the derivation is prefaced by a
"perhaps", and comes via "toque".  No details on which variety of
Spanish.  The OED is, as usual, more cautious and just has "origin
uncertain" for both the verb and the (relevant) noun.