"A man, a plan, a canal--Panama" (1955)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 11 08:23:33 UTC 2004

I wonder what Fred Shapiro has for this. The Chicago Tribune helps. Is the
Manchester Guardian being digitized?

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
     1.
_Palindromes_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=000000508893922&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102751030&clien
tId=65882)
Charles A Hillman. Chicago Daily  Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Aug 8,
1955. p. 16 (1 page)  :

A true palindrome is not a word, but a whole sentence.  Some years back an
un-named correspondent sent these to the Manchester  Guardian as examples of his
own devising:

Sums are not set as a test on Erasmus.

Doom, royal panic. I mimic in a play of  mood.

A man, a plan, a canal--Panama.

J. L.

2.
_A  LINE O' TYPE OR TWO; THEY MADE MOUNTAIN OUT OF MOLE HILL _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=000000506657862&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PRO
D&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102751030&clientId=65882)
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep  23, 1955. p. 14 (1
page) :
J.E.R. has another: "Too far, Edna, we wander afoot." He says he  doesn't
know why the speaker didn't want to go any farther with Edna, or  who she was;
but he thinks that this one, as well as the Panama one we  have used ("A man, a
plan, a canal--Panama") may have been composed by  Roger G. M'Gregor, the
palindromic (his name is one) London  palindromist.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Holland Evening Sentinel _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2prqPPFrTpcR0668lKRCKbPwFmwReQByVg==)  Saturday,
September 17, 1955 _Holland,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:holland+man+plan+canal+Panama)  _Michigan_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:michigan+man+plan+canal+Panama)      ...live on no
evil star., A  MAN, PLAN, a CANAL PANAMA. Roy Ames, I was a  wise.....than
you think. Harold J. Karsten, the MAN who handles the  Saturday band review..