one good eggcorn deserves another

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 12 02:53:13 UTC 2004

At 5:13 PM -0500 12/11/04, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:12:22 -0500, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>wrote:
>
>>Arnold's post on "carrot on a stick" vs. "carrot and (a) stick" adds
>>one more reanalysis (in whichever direction) of this kind to an
>>already bulging sheaf of them, many discussed on the list over the
>>years, including inter alia "hand in/and glove", "puss in/and
>>boots","in this day in age", "foot in mouth disease", "neck in neck",
>>"tongue and cheek".   Then of course there are the reanalyses
>>involving other representatives of the same [X at n] phonology, e.g.
>>past participial -en ("black and red fish", "spittin'/spit an' image"
>>< "spitten image" (see my recent Spitten Image paper in Am. Sp.),
>>present participial -in (tender lovin'/love an' care, smokin'
>>lightnin', clean shavin'), or non-morphemic -en, as in "Chip 'n'
>>Dale" chairs < "Chippendale", "beckon call", "kitten caboodle", and
>>so on.
>
>Some more reanalyses for your list, though you probably have them already:
>
>and -> in
>by in large
>one in the same
>part in parcel
>
>in -> and
>once and a while
>case and point (I've also seen this inverted as "point and case")

Ah, thanx, Ben.  I had "one in the same" and "once and a while", but
not the others.  I do have to admit that "by in large" doesn't make
any less sense than "by and large".   I think "black and red fish"
may be my current fave, though, especially given its occurrence not
just on placards outside Cajun restaurants in places like New Haven
but in the minutes of the August 26, 2003 meeting of the Atlantic
States Marine Fisheries Commission as logged at
http://www.asmfc.org/speciesDocuments/southAtlanticSpecies/boardmeetings/august03minutes.pdf

DR. DANIEL: I think we've exceeded it [the cap]
four times in the last twenty years...
The average commercial catch has been around...
180,000 pounds. The cap was an arbitrary number
that was put on by Dr. Hogarth back when the black
and red fish craze hit the Gulf coast, and to try to
prevent a similar circumstance from happening in
North Carolina, put a precautionary cap on it.

Larry, wondering why Stendhal neglected to include a chapter in which
Julien Sorel enjoyed those delicious morsels