"A man, a plan, a canal--Panama" (1955)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 12 03:03:06 UTC 2004

At 3:23 AM -0500 12/11/04, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep  23, 1955. p. 14 (1
>page) :
>J.E.R. has another: "Too far, Edna, we wander afoot." He says he  doesn't
>know why the speaker didn't want to go any farther with Edna, or  who she was;
>but he thinks that this one, as well as the Panama one we  have used
>("A man, a
>plan, a canal--Panama") may have been composed by  Roger G. M'Gregor, the
>palindromic (his name is one) London  palindromist.

I wonder whatever became of Revilo P. Oliver, the palindromic
non-palindromist (a white supremacist and anti-Semite who was big a
while back).  And then there's Malayalam, the most famous (or
longest, anyway) palindromic-named language.

larry, whose favorite is still "Doc, note:  I dissent.  A fast never
prevents a fatness.  I diet on cod."

P.S.  Didn't the one from Eve, "Madam, I'm Adam", predate the one for Teddy?