Teen acronyms - the new etymological threat

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 12 04:33:02 UTC 2004

Thank you Wilson. I continue to do my best.

I believe that contemporary teens use most words without having the foggiest.

Now, in our day, it was just the hard words....

Booted to ALL that's hip,

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Teen acronyms - the new etymological threat

On Dec 11, 2004, at 6:06 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Teen acronyms - the new etymological threat
> --------
>
> Hey, rounders! Rounderettes! Know how many funky faux folk
> etymologies be circulatin for the teen fave flave "pimp"? Neither do
> I, so I peeped Urbandictionary.com and dug the following. That's
> right!

Good use of "be," Jonathan. FWIW, while IM-ing with my
fourteen-year-old niece, I mentioned that pimps hate women and she was
all like, "They *do*?!" Unfortunately, her momz came in at that moment
and made her go to bed before I had a chance to boot her to the hip.
IAC, this leads me to infer that a lot of contemporary teens use the
word "pimp" without having the foggiest, WRT to its traditional
meaning. The second example comes close, except that adults know that
you don't have to market sex. It markets not only itself, but also
damned near anything else.

-Wilson Gray