"Dipe" (1922) as a typo for "Dive"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 12 20:43:01 UTC 2004

Jerry, didn't a version of this appear in Dialect Notes in the mid-'20s?  Anyway, I notice that the "grandmother" site includes "Statts (?)" indicating  to me the present editor is reading from a handwritten or very badly typed original.  Surely the word intended is "static," possibly the earliest attestation in the sense of unwanted talk.

JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: "Dipe" (1922) as a typo for "Dive"

Ah yes! "Dive" is much more likely here than the otherwise unattested "Dipe."
There's at least one more typo in the article: "Crubber: one who always borrows cigarettes." Should be "Grubber" (with a G). And the article does not have its items arranged alphabetically, giving the impression that they were printed hurriedly from someone's notes.

I'm startled to see that the Google version, whose presenter claims to be the granddaughter of the 1922 flapper-author of the Flappers'-Dictionary, differs in at least several items from the 1922 article. Explanation for this discrepancy: ? -- The 1922 newspaper article is written by Edgar Allan Woods, clearly not a flapper, and makes no mention of the material being compiled by a specific flapper. The impression is that he wrote his article based on his own notes. Plagiarism?

Gerald Cohen