Re:       Re: Singular "yez"?

Sun Dec 12 23:19:19 UTC 2004

This has been discussed many times here, as I recall. Check the archives.
Also, there has been a great deal published on this in the past 30 years in
AMERICAN SPEECH. There is a lot of disagreement about whether or not it is a
genuine Southern phenomenon or just something that Yankees make up when they move
South. Guy Bailey did telephone interviews with people in Oklahoma and some of
them said they used "y'all" in the singular. There has been debate about the
reliability of those results.

The sort of example that Bethany gives is often explained (or explained away,
given your perspective) as meaning 'You [and your friends and family] come
back'.

One wonders how trustworthy JL's example is. Is this something that he has
taperecorded evidence for? Or did someone mistake "You're" for "Y'all"?

In addition, people do make mistakes. One can find examples of instances
where people say "he" when they mean "she," and vice versa. This does not mean
that "he" means 'she' (or vice versa).

I am myself dubious of the viability of singular "y'all." Certainly, the
number of verifiable, convincing examples is miniscule.