"Dipe" (1922) as a typo for "Dive"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 13 01:04:50 UTC 2004

No "dive" = subway in my experience. And no additional "crabhangers."

JL

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Douglas G. Wilson"
Subject: Re: "Dipe" (1922) as a typo for "Dive"

>Ah yes! "Dive" is much more likely here than the otherwise unattested "Dipe."

A possibility, but only that. Both the Web instances which I find have
"dive-ducat" ... but both have "crabhanger" for "crapehanger" (or
"crepehanger") too. They are not independent sources IMHO. And it's not
named the "World Wide Web of Lies and Errors" for nothing.

Is "dive-" for "subway-" recorded elsewhere?

-- Doug Wilson