yankee swap/chinese auction

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 13 14:56:52 UTC 2004

Yesterday up here in New Hampshire I heard someone talking about having a
Christmas party with a Yankee Swap.  When it was described I realized it was what
was called a Chinese Auction in New Jersey (this came to the list several
years ago).  It's where you have a fairly large group and everyone brings a
present. Then numbers are drawn.  Number one goes to the pile of presents, picks
one and opens it, then number two can either pick a new one to open or demand
number one's, and so on.  If one present is particularly desirable it can
exchange hands several times.

Dale Coye
Wilton, New Hampshire