Carbon Look

Orion Montoya gorion at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 13 17:04:18 UTC 2004

I've been reading VeloNews and I learned something interesting about
carbon bicycle parts:

2004 VeloNews 25 Oct. 58/2 Many designers are now omitting the
cosmetic outer layer of fabric and letting the sophistication of their
layup patterns shine instead.  In this case, they are betting that
their customers are smart enough to appreciate the highly technical
look that results, rather than the traditional carbon 'weave' that has
become almost cliché (and often serves little functional purpose).

I wasn't smart enough to know a) that the 'carbon look' was an outer
layer of fabric, or b) that is often serves little functional purpose.
 But at least I'm poor enough not to buy anything carbon for my bike,
and smart enough to know that printing (oh, sorry, 'CHEMICALLY
BONDING') leather with a weave pattern does not make it 'technical' or
'high-performance'.