Roman Punch (1821); Turkey Shoot (1831); Turkey Trot (1910); Apple Pie (1921)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 15 08:42:17 UTC 2004

I attended a Culinary Historians of NY lecture on "punch" earlier last (Tuesday) night, by David Wondrich at the National Arts Club at Gramercy Park South.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC:
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON TUESDAY?--Sal Anthony's dwonstairs (www.salanthonys.com), 55 Irving Place between 17th and 18th Street. Who can resist a "stone oven" veggie pizza for only $7? Resist it. Tomato sauce is a vegetable?

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON MONDAY?--Za Za, First Avenue and 65th Street. It's a tiny place. The huge Portofino a block away is much better. The fettuccine al porcini that I had was OK, but that plus salad, with tax and tip is $35? For noodles with cheese? Why is Italian food so expensive and delicious Thai food half the price in New York?

ROMAN PUNCH

OED has 1828, but it's at least 1821. "Roman Punch" is found in many drink books of the late nineteenth century.

(OED)
_punch_
    17. Misc. uses, as Roman mosaic, punch, sandal, satin, scarf, strings, water. Roman bath = Roman tub; Roman tub U.S., a large sunken bathtub.

  1757 A. COOPER Distiller 213 Recipe for a Gallon of Roman water... Take the outer..peels of six Citrons; a gallon of Proof Spirit, and two quarts of water. 1828 Lights & Shades II. 79 Oh, William, can you tell us what Roman punch is?

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
   1. Town and country
W E. The New Monthly Magazine and Literary Journal. American Ed. (1821-1834). Boston: 1821. Vol. 2, Iss. 7; p. 86 (11 pages)

   2. Town and country
Anonymous. The Saturday Magazine: Being in Great Part a Compilation From the British Reviews, Magazines, and Scientific Journals (1821-1822). Philadelphia: Sep 1, 1821. Vol. 1, Iss. 9; p. 203 (5 pages)

   3. Back Cover
Anonymous. The Saturday Magazine: Being in Great Part a Compilation From the British Reviews, Magazines, and Scientific Journals (1821-1822). Philadelphia: Dec 22, 1821. Vol. 1, Iss. 25; p. 600 (1 page):
Below some smoke in the _Estaminets_,
While others take ice, Roman punch, and _sorbets_,
Or chat to the Bar-Maid Goddess.

   4. Poetry
Anonymous. The Saturday Magazine: Being in Great Part a Compilation From the British Reviews, Magazines, and Scientific Journals (1821-1822). Philadelphia: Dec 22, 1821. Vol. 1, Iss. 25; p. 598 (3 pages)

   5. Town and country
Anonymous. The Cincinnati Literary Gazette (1824-1825). Cincinnati: Jul 2, 1825. Vol. 4, Iss. 27; p. 211 (4 pages)

   6. Character of merchants
Goma De Palajos. The Cincinnati Literary Gazette (1824-1825). Cincinnati: Jul 9, 1825. Vol. 4, Iss. 28; p. 221 (2 pages)

   7. Town and country
W E. The Cincinnati Literary Gazette (1824-1825). Cincinnati: Jul 9, 1825. Vol. 4, Iss. 28; p. 220 (2 pages)

   8. THE FASHION.
The Ariel. A Semimonthly Literary and Miscellaneous Gazette (1827-1832). Philadelphia: Mar 19, 1831. Vol. 4, Iss. 24; p. 190 (1 page)

   9. THE SOIREE MUSICALE.
Atkinson's Casket (1831-1839). Philadelphia: Nov 1834. p. 510 (7 pages)

   10. My first punch
N B. The Knickerbocker; or New York Monthly Magazine (1833-1862). New York: Mar 1836. Vol. 7, Iss. 3; p. 266 (11 pages)

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Times  Tuesday, May 10, 1825 London, Middlesex
...of especially hothouse grapes and ROMAN PUNCH, which were exquisite of.....schools in Ireland, supported by luc ROMAN Catholic out of their small means..

   Times  Tuesday, September 07, 1824 London, Middlesex
...The icct, fruits, confectionery, and ROMAN PUNCH, were alike admirable. It..

PISCO PUNCH

I had posted the following on "Pisco Punch." I'm re-posting it here not to "pull my punches." Patrick Murphy's column in BUCKEYE TAVERN had about five columns 1942-1944 on "Pisco Punch" and I couldn't type up them all.

(ADS-L ARCHIVES)
   "Pisco" is in the OED, but not "Pisco punch."  DARE?
   From the BUCKEYE TAVERN, "Patrick Murphy's The Barman's Corner," 8 June
1944, pg. 4, col. 3:

   Recently this column discussed once again some of the aspects of San
Francisco's Pisco Punch.  We neglected to mention a memo which we had picked
up on a visit to that city in 1942, however, and do so now.
   At the corner of Washington and Montgomery Sts. S. F., in a building which
housed (and probably still houses) the Agenzia Fugazzi, civic-minded citizens
have placed this placque at pedestrian eye-level:
   "HERE IN THE BANK EXCHANGE 1853-1918 DUNCAN NICOL INVENTED AND SERVED
PISCO PUNCH.  BENEFACTOR HUMANI GENERIS.  DEDICATED BY E. CLAMPUS VITUS 29
JANUARY 1938."
   It is the only such historical placque erected to a famed American
libation of which I have any knowledge.

TURKEY SHOOT

A Culinary Historians of NY member asked about "Turkey in the Straw." I couldn't find early 19th century stuff on the song in the newspaper databases.

Also requested was "turkey shoot" and "turkey trot." The "Turkey Shoot" painting mentioned below sounds familiar to me.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
  1. ITEMS.
Workingman's Advocate (1830-1836). New York: Jul 9, 1831. Vol. 2, Iss. 47; p. 0_3 (1 page):
_Murder_--In Fairfield county, Ohio, John Gephart was altely setnenced to imprisonment for life, for murder in the second degree; having killed Daniel Waters by a blow on the head with a rifle. The occurrance took place at a turkey shoot; where the deceased had commenced a quarrel with the prisoner's father, who decided a shot against him.

   2. FIELD SPORTS AND PASTIMES.; NO. III.--THE HUNTER'S YARN.
BY FRANK FORESTER.. Graham's American Monthly Magazine of Literature, Art, and Fashion (1844-1858). Philadelphia: Dec 1845. Vol. VOL. XXVII., Iss. No. 6.; p. 277 (6 pages)

   3. OUR ARTISTS.--NO. V.; DEAS.
Godey's Magazine and Lady's Book (1844-1848). New York: Dec 1846. Vol. 33; p. 250 (4 pages)
His first successful picture illustrated a frequent local scene familiar to the denizens of the Hudson. It was called the "Turkey Shoot," and was so graphically delineated as at once to hit the fancy of a genuine Knickerbocker who ancestors were among the early colonists, who became its purchaser.
(Second Page. Charles Deas is the subject of the article--ed.)

TURKEY TROT

The "Turkey Trot" began in San Francisco about 1910. I saw a lot of it in the SF "jazz" searching.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
The "Turkey Trot."
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Dec 1, 1910. p. 6 (1 page):
San Francisco Dispatch to the New York World.

San Francisco has produced in the "Turkey Trot" dance a novelty in tersichorean art, which is to be exported to Russia, perhaps to the imperial palace, and then it is to be made the basis of a new ballet.

Anna Pavlowa, the delightful Russian artist, discovered the "Turkey Trot" on the Barbary Coast, and was delighted with the novelty. SHe tried it herself on the floor of the dance hall where she saw it, and after learning it declared that it was the best yet, and artistically satisafying.

"I will take it to Russia," she said, "and I will introduce it throughout Europe."

Pavlowa was on the "coast" as a member of a big party, in which were some local society people. In addition to the celebrated danseuse those who admired "trot" were Michael Mordkin, her partner, Mme. Pazitszkaia, Count Centenani, Stanley Sharp, and Theodore Stier, the orchestra conductor.

"What I intend to do with the 'Turkey Trot' is to take it to Russia and develop it, have it carefully worked out,' said Pavlowa. "I will have a great and beautiful ballet made of it."

The "Turkey Trot" is a dance recently ordered barred by the police commissioner.

GLIMPSES OF SAN FRANCISCO.
Special Correspondence of The Times.. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Dec 4, 1910. p. II8 (1 page):
Countess Pavlowa, after diligent search found our tenderloin and was so impressed with the "Turkey Trot" dance that she says she is going to take it back to Russia. As long as she doesn't take the tenderloin there is no protest.

HAVE YOU TRIED THE "LONG BOSTON" DANCE?; At Coney Island It Is Called "The Turkey Trot," and in Other Places It Is Variously Named.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 29, 1911. p. SM9 (1 page)

ACTIVITIES of the WEEK IN SOCIETY; Grizzly Bear" and "Turkey Trot" All Ready for a Chicago Debut. CHICAGO SOCIETY WOMEN AS THE PORTRAIT PAINTERS SEE THEM
Mme X. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Feb 19, 1911. p. B7 (1 page)

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
THE POETRY OF MOTION.
THE GRASSHOPPER. Puck (1877-1918). New York: Jan 24, 1912. Vol. 71, Iss. 1821; p. 0_7 (1 page):
SOME WORTHY SUCCESSORS TO "THE GRIZZLY BEAR" AND "THE TURKEY TROT."

Cartoons and Comments; THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL.
Puck (1877-1918). New York: Jan 31, 1912. Vol. 71, Iss. 1822; p. 0_2 (1 page):
NOT IN years have any forms of dancing enjoyed, or suffered, the publicity now accorded "The Turkey Trot" and "The Grizzly Bear." They are not new dances, but they are new to what calls itself polite society, and their widespread popularity, despite efforts to discourage them, shows how far, how very far, we have progressed since the days when the waltz was new. Then  dance was considered highly indelicate in which a man deliberately encircled a woman's waist with his arm and held her close. What would the critics of the waltz say if they could drop in where a party of present day "young people" are turkey-trotting or grizzling-bearing? Verily, putting your arm around your partner's waist is no fun at all any more; it is almost puritanical.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Mansfield News  Tuesday, September 27, 1910 Mansfield, Ohio
...Alpine Rose A FuU Hand Jack Rabbit; TURKEY TROT Dance of the Katy Kids..

AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE

There is an "Apple Pie" book out by John T. Edge. I was asked about "American as apple pie." I posted the following here last May and haven't been able to beat it.

(ADS-L ARCHIVES)
(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Decatur Daily Review - 7/3/1921
...of Main street. And AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE, wheat cakes, corn on the
cob.....OPERA INSPIRATION. FROM ALFALFA OR APPLE PIE? Alice Gentle sighed. Then..
Decatur, Illinois Sunday, July 03, 1921  569 k

Decatur Herald - 7/3/1930
...reaction it AS lypically AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE. We hope to live to see
the.....Morgan predicts that by 1960 the; AMERICAN working day will be reduced
to..
Decatur, Illinois Thursday, July 03, 1930  703 k

Gazette And Bulletin - 2/5/1910
Williamsport, Pennsylvania Saturday, February 05, 1910  601 k
(???  No text?--ed.)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
MRS. HOOVER, TOO, HAS SERVED THE NATION; A Widely Traveled Woman With Many Interests, She Has Made a Success of Old-Fashioned Wifehood MRS. HOOVER, TOO, HAS SERVED RUNNERS OF THE "STREET"
By ANNE RERENDEEN. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 22, 1928. p. 63 (2 pages)
First page:
All were, as one guest put it, "as American a apple pie or corn pone," and through them all ran the motif of the eventual real home--the permanent home for which, from the first, treasures, mostly books, were collected--Mrs. Hoover finally built in 1921 at Palo Alto, overlooing the campus of Stanford.