Hallacas (1909)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 16 03:00:33 UTC 2004

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC:
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?--Vatan, Indian-Vegetarian, 409 Third Avenue (29th Street). Did I just have a small dish of Italian noodles and cheese the other night for $35? This meal was $22.95, with at least a dozen small dishes. Definitely take a date; not me, but maybe you normal people out there. Make sure you have clean socks for when you remove your shoes.
HALLACAS
 Â  Â
More on "Hallacas." It's not in the OED and doesn't exist?
(NYPL's CATNYP)
Call # JFB 04-173 Â
Author Cartay Angulo, Rafael, 1941- Â
Title El hallaca en Venezuela / Rafael Cartay. Â
Imprint Caracas, Venezuela : FundaciÙŽn Bigott, 2003.

LOCATION Â CALL NO. Â STATUS Â
OFFSITE Â  JFB 04-173 Â  Â  AVAILABLE
Location Humanities-Genrl Res
Descript 123 p. ; 15 cm.
Series ColecciÙŽn En Venezuela (FundaciÙŽn Bigott) ; 1. Â
Note Includes bibliographical references (p. 117-123).
Subject Cookery, Venezuelan. Â
 Stuffed foods (Cookery) Â
 Cookery -- Corn. Â
 Cookery -- Venezuela -- History. Â

(ADS-L ARCHIVES)
For Gourmets and Others: A Venezuelan Adventure; Introduction of the World's Fair Visitor to Hallacas And Other Dishes, at Once Rich and Strange, From the Tropics; By  CHARLOTTE HUGHES; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jun 18, 1939; pg. 49, 1 pgs
 Â  ("Ingredients for the meat mixture, enough for ten hallacas, are...a garlic bread...")

(ADS-L ARCHIVES) Â
PUERTO-RICAN DISHES
by Berta Cabanillas and Carmen Ginorio
Puerto Rico
Baltimore, MD: Waverly Press
1956
Hayacas  Boiled pie; the dough or "masa" is made of green corn or pearl hominy and stuffed with a meat filling.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
(I had searched for "Hallaca." "Hallacas" turns up more stuff--ed.)
EXOTIC BITS FOR GOURMETS.; The Hallacas of Venezuela and Raw Fish of Japan in New York.
>From the New York Sun.. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: May 9, 1909. p. E3 (1 page):
>From the New York Sun.
It is true that one can find almost anything he wants in New York--anything he wants to eat, particularly.
Of course, the rubberneck wagoner knows that there are a lot of things to eat in Chinatown that he doesn't have back home in Adrian, Mich., and the Forty-second street bon vivant knows the lurking place of the broiled sords and the snails. But even he lives to learn. Here is something gustatory that may be new to him:
The hallacas of Venezuela is in town, likewise the honorable raufish (vernacular unpronouncable) of Japan, with soy sauce. First the habitat and characteristics of the hallacas properly "hayacas" in the Spanish:
It can be found in a little Spanish restaurant much patronized by South Americans down in the heart of the coffee and tobacco district on Pearl street, just north of Wall. THe dainty comes steaming to the table wrapped coyly in a green banana leaf. It must first be stripped of its habiliments, then eaten with a glass of Riocca wine at hand.
A pork tamale is the hallacas. Minced pork and cornmeal, stwmed together, is its body. There are raisins in the meal and a stoned olive. With just enough chili sauce to give it a bite and some fire the hallacas stands revealed--an alien tidbit praying for naturalization.
The honorable raufish may not set forth such right to speedy acceptance. (...)
(NY Times cites follow--ed.)
 Â  1. HOLT PARTY REACHES REMOTE AREA IN BRAZIL; Leader Cables Geographic Society of Arrival on Upper Rio Negro.
Special to The New York Times.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 8, 1930. p. 4 (1 page):
Almost coincident with the arrival of telegraphic news from Mr. Holt, Dr. Grosvenor received a letter from him, written from a steamer on the Orinoco above Puerto Bolivar on Christmas Day. Â It disclosed that making Christmas dinner on hallacas, turtle meat and boiled turtle eggs; fighting heat, insects and fever, and having valuable launches almost crushed by the surging waters of rapids are incidental to scientific work on the upper Orinoco River.

 Â  2. For Gourmets and Others: A Venezuelan Adventure; Introduction of the World's Fair Visitor to Hallacas And Other Dishes, at Once Rich and Strange, From the Tropics Typical Venezuelan Dinner The Meat Mixture Black Bean Stew
By CHARLOTTE HUGHES. New York Times (1857-Current. Jun 18, 1939. p. 49 (1 page)
 Â  Â  Â  Â
 Â  3. Food: The Indians Had a Taste for It; Meat, Poultry, Seafood Are Cooked Together In a Chilean Dish Curanto en Olla Robust Entree -- Venezuelan Recipes Available
By CRAIG CLAIBORNE. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 5, 1959. p. 39 (1 page):
A news and interesting booklet on foreign cuisine is entitled "Platos Venezolanos." It is a collection of Venezuelan recipes adapted for the American kitchen.
One of the dishes listed therein is for Hallacas, another contribution of the American Indian. The booklet may be obtained free by writing the Creole Petroleum Corporation, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York 20.
Here is an adaptation of the Hallacas (pronounced ah-yackus) from the book.
(Long recipe follows--ed.)
 Â  4. Q&A
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 8, 1981. p. C4 (1 page) Â
Q. A friend of mine recently described to me a spicy Brazilian food called "halakas" but didn't recalle precisely how they are made. They are, he thought, made of corn meal, spices, ground pork and beef, cheese and olives, then wrapped in corn husks and steamed. Are you familiar with this dish?
A. You are spelling the name of the dish incorrectly. Hallacas are tamale-like appetizers or main-course foods that are prepared in various ways. They are found in several South American countries including Venezuela. They are generally stuffed, as you say, with ground or chopped beef and pork, but they may also contain chicken.
The seasonings vary widely. They may include, in addition to cheese and olives, capers and raisins. They may be made with corn meal or ground corn or hominy. And they may be wrapped in banana leaves or parchment paper rather than corn husks. They are delectable served hot and steaming.