FIRE & ICE; Hotropolis

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 17 02:40:48 UTC 2004

I'm sending this from Kinko's. My phone line went out. Everything in my life is difficult, Every single goddamn thing.

The blank lines that I type disappear. I don't know how to put a black and white photo on my own web site. Absolutely everything is difficult.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC:
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?--Topaz Thai, 127 West 56th Street. I was going to get the Greek around the corner on Seventh Avenue, but there was a 20-minute wait. Topaz is affordable, standard Thai. It's next door to the Mysterious Bookstore.

FIRE & ICE

>From the New York Daily News, 16 December 2004, "On New York" by Richard Schwartz, pg. 43, col. 1:

The future of New York City is FIRE and ICE.
(...)
Start with FIRE. The acronym refers to what has long been the core of the city's economy: FInance, Insurance and Real Estate.
(...)
But over the last decade or so, the traditional FIRE has been eclipsed a bit by a potent new dynamic in the city's ever-transforming economy--ICE, which stands for all things Intellectual, Cultural and Educational.

HOTROPOLIS

The 20 December 2004 New York Observer cover boldly declares that "New York Is Reborn!" Never mind that political corruption is back in a big way, and we're going bankrupt from a court case that now requires billions of additional spending for schools.

"That Phone, Inflated
"90's Hotropolis Is Over;
"Hear That Yammering?
"It's the New New York!"