"Paris Hilton" quote on a woman's animals (mink, jaguar, tiger) (1991)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 17 03:31:31 UTC 2004

At 8:26 PM -0500 12/16/04, Baker, John wrote:
>         It's an old joke.  We can be pretty sure that it does not go
>back before 1935, when the Jaguar brand name was invented.  The joke
>is, of course, intended to denigrate both the shallow and faithless
>woman and her foolish, cuckolded man.

Indeed, it's very much in the spirit of Chaucer, Boccaccio or the
fabliaux, mutatis mutandis.  (One of the mutanda being the relative
scarcity of XKEs in those days, but I'm sure there were precursors of
one kind or another.)

larry