magic mushroom (1957), etc.

Fri Dec 17 16:28:21 UTC 2004

ben zimmer quoth:

* shroom(s) = psilocybin (not yet in OED)

Washington Post, Dec 27, 1981, p. A1 (Nexis)
"I'm a closet smoker--I like 'shrooms," confides a 15-year-old California
girl whose favorite drug of choice, unbeknown to her parents, is
hallucinogenic mushrooms, or psilocybin.

(Surely there are earlier cites for this one.)
<<<<

nowadays, and for quite a while as i recall, "shrooms" is also used for any
mushrooms, e.g., as bought in supermarket salad sections.

mark by hand