Luggage and Baggage

Fri Dec 17 21:47:12 UTC 2004

--- "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> wrote:

> "Luggage" and "baggage" are synonyms when used to
> mean "the suitcases you are
> carrying".  However, "baggage" has extended
> meanings.

A number of years ago Julie Andrews was in a skit on
TV, probably on the Carol Burnett Show, in which she
appeared on a split screen as both Mary Poppins and
Emily, her character from The Americanization of
Emily.    Mary referred to Emily as a saucy piece of
baggage, Emily to Mary as a baggy piece of sausage.

Perhaps not particularly enlightening on this
discussion, but it has stuck in my head all these
years.

=====