not too shabby (1969)

Sat Dec 18 00:59:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:20:02 -0600, Mullins, Bill
<Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

>Theater: Hermione Baddeley Speaks to a Lobster
>By VINCENT CANBY
>New York Times (1857-Current file); Feb 6, 1968; ProQuest Historical
>Newspapers The New York Times (1851 - 2001)
>pg. 36/3
>"Neither Miss Baddely, done up in what looks to be a gray wig and not
>overly frumpy dress, nor Stewart Chaney, who provided the elaborately
>realistic set representing the charwoman's not too shabby flat, can give
>real life to a play which, actually is just one long gust of exposition."

Noticed that one, but I don't think that's the idiomatic usage of "not too
shabby" (an example of litotes like "not bad").  Canby's usage can be
understood literally to mean that the charwoman's flat is not excessively
shabby (dingy, run-down).

--Ben Zimmer