journalist's inquiry on the slang of Variety magazine

Sat Dec 18 22:25:20 UTC 2004

I spoke with her yesterday and passed along some relevant data (with
cautions about claiming Variety coined the terms, explaining first cite
vs. known to have coined, and all the usual caveats). I also pointed
her to the two Variety articles in American Speech, Fred's and the 1940
Raymond Tyson one.

Grant Barrett