"blow (one's own/someone else's) mind" (was: Re: lid, meth, etc. (1966))

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Tue Dec 21 09:49:40 UTC 2004

Then there's the Fabs, or at least Lennon, in 'Day in the Life' (on Sgt.
Pepper, 1967): 'He blew his mind out in a car....' which is essentially
talking about Tara Browne's death in a car-crash, but the language (and
the song) is deliberately ambivalent (Browne was an early LSD devotee).
And the Small Faces 'Itchycoo Park' (1967) 'I feel inclined to blow my
mind / Get hung up, feed the ducks with a bun'. This latter also offers
'They all come out to groove about / Be nice and have fun in the sun' and
the chorus declares 'It's all too beautiful...' And forgive me such
coarseness, but I always had the feeling that we were meant to appreciate
that what Mick's pickup blew was, however euphemistically he put it,
perhaps something other than his mind. 'Their Satanic Majesties Request'
notwithstanding, the Stones were never much on psychedelia.

Jonathon Green