lid, meth, etc. (1966)

Tue Dec 21 10:10:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:44:30 -0500, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:

>A New Drug Culture Is Burgeoning
>Washington Post, Aug 21, 1966, pp. E1, E5
>
>* lid = 'ounce of marijuana' (OED2 1967)
>
>   Depending on how closely the box is packed, you can roll between
>   10 and 15 joints from its contents, which cost $5 for an average
>   quality. Between four and five boxes make an economy-size lid
>   (one ounce), which runs $15.

Or was a "lid" a little more than an ounce?

Los Angeles Times, Sep 14, 1967, p. II-6
When split up and sold in "lid" (1 1/4 ounce) form, the kilo will bring
approximately $300, both police and attorneys agree. ... "If we pick up a
man with a relatively small quantity of marijuana," Lt. Sena said, "but
find scales, a sifter, and baggies (used to hold 'lids') in his house, we
can't do anything else but charge him with possession."

(This sense of "baggy/baggie" is not yet in the OED.)

--Ben Zimmer