"blow (one's own/someone else's) mind" (with implications for cognitive science)

Tue Dec 21 19:37:13 UTC 2004

On Dec 21, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> ...I've wondered about that.  The first conjunct ("she blew my nose")
> I've always assumed is an obvious reference to coke, but I was never
> sure about the mind--could be taken either way, or as a simple
> metaphor (she caused me to blow my mind, in an unspecified way)...

haven't we discussed this before?  or maybe that was on OUTiL or
soc.motss or something...

in any case, my interpretation always was that this was a nose/penis
figure, and that the mind-blowing was a simple metaphor.

but of course there's no reason to maintain that there's only one right
way of interpreting the line...

arnold