"talie" slang lists (1929)

Wed Dec 22 17:07:20 UTC 2004

> WHERE IS BARRY POPIK'S NEXT TRIP?--I was thinking of taking
> Jet  Blue to Florida, eventually to Fort Walton Beach, and
> checking out stuff at  the Elgin Air Force Base for "the
> whole nine yards" and other slang. For after  the holidays,
> in January. Any thoughts/suggestions?

If you do go, here are some places you might investigate.  Eglin AFB,
Hurlburt Field, Tyndall AFB, and Ft. Rucker are all within an easy drive of
Ft. Walton Beach.  If you have any military background, you might can stay
at a BOQ on the base; it would probably be cheaper than a civilian hotel.
The AF Armament Museum would probably be the most likely place to find out
something.

Some of these are inside the gates of their respective posts/bases; that
means you'll have to badge in.  Call ahead and find out how difficult this
will be.  The Air Force tends to be a little easier than the Army, but every
base is different.

The AF Armament Museum is not inside the gates of Eglin AFB; it should be
like going to any museum -- just drive up and go in.

If you are willing to drive a little further, try the Air Force Historical
Research Agency at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery AL.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/
http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/about1.php

Good Luck, and regards,
Bill

Air Force Armament Museum
100 Museum Drive
Eglin Air Force Base, FL 32542-1497
(904) 882-4062
FAX (904) 882-3990
Collection includes armaments, gun vault, and related items; exhibits

Air Force Research Library Munitions Directorate Technical Library
http://www.munitions.eglin.af.mil/public/facility/stinfo.html

National Museum of Naval Aviation, Pensacola FL
http://naval.aviation.museum/visit/visit_directions.html

Emil Buehler Naval Aviation Library
National Museum of Naval Aviation
1750 Radford Blvd., Suite C
Pensacola, Florida 32508-5402
850-452-3604, x123

Tyndall AFB Library
640 Suwanee Road
Tyndall AFB, FL 32403-5531
Reference Desk: 850.283.4287
Fax: 850.283.4994

Hurlburt Field Library
443 Cody Avenue - Bldg. 90337
Hurlburt Field, FL 32544-5435
Phone : (850) 884-6947 / 6266
(See page 1 of this document for contacts:
http://www.bsc.net/user1/SOBIB.PDF#search='Hurlburt%20Field%20Base%20Library
%20' )

United States Army Aviation Museum
U.S. Army Aviation Museum Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 620610-0610, Fort Rucker, AL 36330
1-334-598-2508
http://www.armyavnmuseum.org/