"Keep your eye upon the donut" (1930)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 24 04:44:05 UTC 2004

I just entered this one in my NYC food section. Maybe Fred can use the proverb.

NYU is closing in about ten minutes and essentially won't re-open for about ten days.

(WWW.BARRYPOPIK.COM)

The Mayflower coffee and donut shops (19302-1970s) used this "Optimist's Creed" as its motto. The poem pre-dates the Mayflower.
2 October 1930, <i>Progress Review</i> (La Porte City, Iowa), pg. 1, col.
Have you tried McBride's Doughnuts? They contain Youma whole wheat flour. As you ramble on through Life, Brother, whatever be your Goal, keep your eye upon the Doughnut and not upon the hole.
21 December 1930, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. 48:
<i>DOUGHNUT HOLES</i>
<i>ENGAGE EXPERTS</i>

<i>Small-Hole Cake Is by Far</i>
<i>the Best for Dunking</i>
<i>One Declares</i>

To the Editor of The New York Times:
(...)
In conclusion I quote the following gem of philosophy, which not only discloses a truly Aristotelian understanding but also relegates the hole to its rightful place:

As you ramble on through life, brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut
And not upon the hold.

ZOLTAN GOTTLIEB,
New York, Dec. 16, 1930.
12 October 1953, Los Angeles <i>TImes</i>, pg. 2:
"Remember the doughnut shop that once was at Broadway and 8th St.? On the outside of the building this little ditty: "As uou journey on through life, brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." - L. F. Kunstman, Los Angeles.
20 January 1972, <i>Christian Science Monitor</i>, pg. 10:
<i>Doughnuts: the hole story</i>
(...)
Way back in 1932, FDR and Herbert Hoover added a homey touch to their campaigns by eating doughnuts at whistle-stop rallies. WIth the U.S. in the depths of a depression, both candidates, by coincidence, worked the "Optimists' Creed" into their speeches on several occasions...

As you ramble on thru life, brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole!

6 May 1981, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. C4:
<i>How Doughnuts WOn America</i>
By SALLY L. STEINBERG
(...)
When I was a child we always had boxes of doughnuts from the Mayflower coffee shops my grandfather had started. The doughnuts wore icing costumes as pink as ballet tutus, as green as leprechauns, and they were delicious.

On the box was a quaint insignia of two men in medieval jester's outfits, back to back, looking out at the doughnuts they held, one fat, the othe thin. Old-style print between them said: "As you ramble on through life, brother,/ Whatever be your goal,/ Keep your eye upon the doughnut,/ And not upon the hole." This poem, found in an old book, was my grandfather's philosophy.
8 April 1992, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. C14:
<i>Bygone Food, Chock Full o' Memories</i>

On the other hand, most fans of the Mayflower shops best rmember whole doughnuts, not only because of the company's slogan: "As you ramble through life, keep your eye on the doughnut and not on the hole." The texture, the marriage of soft and crisp - have the Mayflower doughnuts ever been bettered? All kinds of people think not.
28 February 1999, New York TImes, pg. CY2:
<i>F.Y.I.</i>
<i>Eyes on the Doughnut</i>

Q. Many years ago, after ice skating in Central Park, my parents would take my brother, my sister and me to a little coffee shop on the southeast corner of 59th Street and Fifth Avenue. On the wall were these words: As you ramble on through life, brother,/Whatever be your goal,/Keep your eye upon the doughnut,/And not upon the hole. Why?

A. You were in a Mayflower Doughnut shop, one of the last in the city, actually, and that bit of doggerel was the personal motto of the founder, Adolph Levitt. Known as the Optimist's Creed, the words were printed on each box of doughnuts sold in the Mayflower shops, where they were framed by two cartoon jesters, one frowning at a thin doughnut with a large hole, the other grinning at a plump one with almost no hole at all.

Mr. Levitt, an immigrant from Russia, first saw the anonymous verse in a picture frame he bought in a dime store, according to his granddaughter, Sally Levitt Seinberg.
(...)
...in 1931 he opened the first Mayflower doughnut shop. (...) Mayflower shops, all bearing the Optimist's Creed, dotted the city for decades, but had all but disappeared by the 1970's.
(Trademark)
Word Mark AS YOU RAMBLE ON THRU LIFE BROTHER, WHATEVER BE YOUR GOAL; KEEP YOUR EYE UPON THE DOUGHNUT AND NOT UPON THE HOLE
Goods and Services IC 030. US 046. G & S: DOUGHNUTS. FIRST USE: 19490125. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19490125
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 020116 020117 020701 020906 080109 240102 240103
Serial Number 71676326
Filing Date November 9, 1954
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 0617266
Registration Date December 6, 1955
Owner (REGISTRANT) MAYFLOWER DOUGHNUT CORPORATION CORPORATION NEW YORK 393 7TH AVE. NEW YORK 1 NEW YORK
(LAST LISTED OWNER) KERRY INGREDIENTS, INC. CORPORATION ASSIGNEE OF DELAWARE 1501 FRANKLIN AVENUE GARDEN CITY NEW YORK 11530
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record NEIL M ZIPKIN
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL