second thoughts on Nkinis

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 25 00:51:58 UTC 2004

I'm sure that some of the photos in Life magazine published during World War II, esp. after 1943,  featured starlets in two-piece bathing suits. It would be well worth the while of any right-thinking male scholar to review the evidence.

              "Macbeth.  Is that Chili Williams I see before me?????"

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: second thoughts on Nkinis

On Dec 24, 2004, at 1:57 PM, James A. Landau wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "James A. Landau"
> Subject: Re: second thoughts on Nkinis
> --------
>
> In a message dated Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:29:55 +0100, Chris F Waigl
> quotes:
>
>>> As for the referents, neither a skimpy two-piece swimsuit nor either
>>> of
> its
>>> parts would seem to have qualified as a novel invention, even in
>>> 1946.
>
> I am hardly an expert on women's clothing, but I do not believe that
> two-piece bathing suits, skimpy or otherwise, were at all common in
> 1946.

Why don't you believe that? The bikini was hardly the first two-piece
bathing suit for women. Didn't you ever look at the pictures in Esquire
magazine or those in the pulp girlie-mags of the day? I certainly did.
My father-in-law's favorite picture of my mother-in-law, taken after he
got out of the Army in 1945, shows her in a two-piece bathing suit. The
bikini merely contained noticeably less material than was usual up to
that time. That is, a *skimpy* two-piece bathing suit surely did
qualify as a novel invention in 1946 simply on the basis of its
skimpiness. The bikini was newsworthy enough at the time that it was
written up and pictured in NewsTime.

-Wilson Gray