second thoughts on Nkinis, bis

Sat Dec 25 17:50:24 UTC 2004

Jim also writes:

<snip>
>  BBG. DUCH. 1967, § 70. GALL. 1955, p. 112, 157. TEPPE (J.). Défense de
>  klaxonner! Vie Lang. 1961, no 114, p. 485.

To the best of my understanding of French, "Defense de klaxonner" means "it
is forbidden to sound a Klaxon horn".  I do not see what these words are
doing here, unless "klaxonner" means "to wear a sexy garment".  Also, since
"k" appears in French only in foreign words, "klaxonner" is a blatant
example of Franglais.
 <<<<<

Or some other borrowing. Is "klaxon" used only in English?

>And most important Josephus had other reasons for rewriting them as
>doing so, since he coward out of a pack made with his comrades.

Not necessarily an eggcorn, since Josephus before he changed sides was a
member of a "pack" (cf WWII "wolf-pack") of Jewish fighters.
 <<<<<

But the presence of "made" is less likely in that reading than it is if
"pack" is an eggcorn for "pack".

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]