Sees glass half full or half empty (1935, by Josiah Stamp?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 26 19:25:07 UTC 2004

"An optimist looks at glass of water and says it's half full. A pessimist looks at a glass of water and says it's half empty. I look at a glass of water and I say, 'It's a glass of water. So what?'"  --Ian Shoales, NPR, ca.1988.

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Sees glass half full or half empty (1935, by Josiah Stamp?)

This is like the doughnut and the hole idea. When did this start? What does
Fred have?
13 November 1935, New York Times, pg. 20:
To the Editor of The New York Times:
May I offer a tentative term to designate one who is neither a pessimist nor
an optimist? Perspectivist.
Both optimism and pessimism are terms which denote an emotional attitude.
Perspectivism defines a rational position.
I came recently upon a graphic distinction drawn by Sir Josiah Stamp between
an optimist and a pessimist: "A pessimist looks at his glass and says it is
half empty; an optimist looks at it and says it is half full."
(...)
GABRIEL WELLS.
New York, Nov. 11, 1935.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
_Charleston Daily Mail _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Rvj45z7SpqiKID/6NLMW2oeTXNaOGyI+U5eS02Uwg3h+C/D8AbE0ug==) Sunday, January
31, 1937 _Charleston,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:charleston+josiah+stamp+and+half+full) _West Virginia_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:west_virginia+josiah+stamp+and+half+full)

...s HALF empty. The optimist says it's HALF FULL, but the calmly decides,
'It.....says a writer named Gabriel. Quoting JOSIAH STAMP, he adds':
pessimist looks..

(GOOGLE)

_http://www.boardofwisdom.com/mailquote.asp?msgid=4999_
(http://www.boardofwisdom.com/mailquote.asp?msgid=4999)

Submitted by _Anonymous Guest_
(http://www.boardofwisdom.com/profile.asp?username=Anonymous Guest) , 9/9/2002 6:37:27 PM

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half
empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

-Unknown