second thoughts on Nkinis

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 26 22:10:04 UTC 2004

At 4:38 PM -0500 12/26/04, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

>>The others are a mixed bag.  I can vouch for Hodgkin's being used far
>>more often (whether spelled with or without the apostrophe) than
>>"Hodgkin disease", which I suspect I've never heard, nor have I
>>encountered "non-Hodgkin disease."
>
>"Non-Hodgkin['s] disease" would be unusual in careful writing, as would
>"non-Alzheimer['s] disease". But "non-Hodgkin['s] lymphoma" and
>"non-Alzheimer['s] dementia" are routine.

Right, but I think it's also rare (though obviously not unheard-of)
for ordinary (non-CDC) folks to say/write "non-Hodgkin lymphoma" OR
"Hodgkin disease", without the 's.   I'd wager the same would be true
for Alzehimer's vs. #Alzheimer syndrome/dementia, but then maybe
there's a tendency to forget to add the 's.  ;-)

Larry