WOTY

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Dec 26 23:45:44 UTC 2004

>I vote that we retroactively accept Allan's 100-year WOTY lists in
>"Predicting New Words" as official American Dialect Society Words of
>the Year so we can then issue a press release from Oakland that has a
>nuclear-war sized headline at top that says AMERICA'S LONGEST-RUNNING
>WORDS OF THE YEAR VOTE OFFICIALLY ENSHRINES 2004 WORDS INTO "THE"
>DICTIONARY; EXPERTS ADVISE ALL AMERICANS TO BEGIN USING THESE WORDS
>IMMEDIATELY; SPECIAL SUPPLEMENT SUITABLE FOR MIMEOGRAPHING AND STAPLING
>TO DICTIONARY FLYLEAF INCLUDED.
>
>Grant
~~~~~~~~
WOTY OF THE FUTURE?
If this lurker in the foothills may enter the fun here, I would submit a
candidate phrase. "Bush league intelligence" would seem to have a high
career potential, though I can find no record of past employment.
/Bush league/ has had a lot of use, of course, but  though google claims
some half-a-million or so hits for "bush league intelligence," they aren't
for the phrase, just the usual: words appearing within hailing distance of
each other.
A. Murie