air force slang: more annotations

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Dec 27 17:55:04 UTC 2004

On Dec 27, 2004, at 4:00 AM, Bruce Hunter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bruce Hunter <bhunter3 at MINDSPRING.COM>
> Subject:      Re: air force slang
> --------
>
> I concur. Navy versions of these tend to be somewhat "salty".
> Bruce Hunter

Also an Army term. Well, it was in the '50's and '60's

> [...]
>>
>> Army too, except for "flightline."
>>
>>> Golden BB: A lucky shot that brings down an aircraft.
>>>
>>> Ground pounder: Term for Air Force members who don't fly. They're
>>> also
>>> called ground hogs, wing weenies, penguins, chairborne rangers,
>>> pencil
>>> pushers and desk jockeys, among others. Aviators in staff jobs are
>>> said to
>>> be "flying a desk."
>>
>> In the Army, a "ground pounder" is an infantryman.
>>
>>> Hedgehop: To fly an aircraft low. Also known as brushing the
>>> bushes, flying
>>> in the weeds and contour chasing.
>>>
>>> Hitch: An enlistment.
>>
>> Army too.
>>
>>> Hitting the silk: World War II slang for parachuting from an
>>> aircraft.
>>> Nowadays, it's a "nylon letdown."
>>>
>>> Homesteading: Remaining at one base for a long duration.
>>>
>>> Hurry up and wait: A term airmen use to describe the pace of military
>>> operations.
>>>
>>> Lifer: A term used by first-termers to refer to career
>>> servicemembers.
>>> Lifers are usually "ate up," and are staying in the military "for the
>>> duration."
>>>
>>> Media puke: A journalist. Also called headaches, pencils and JIB
>>> rats. JIB
>>> is short for Joint Information Bureau.
>>
>> Above four are army too.
>>
>>> Milk run: An uneventful, easy combat flight.
>>>
>>> Monkey suit: The fur suit used by World War I and II aviators
>>> flying at high
>>> altitudes. Now used to refer to the military uniform in general.
>>>
>>> Monopoly money: Foreign currency.
>>>
>>> Night CAP: Nighttime Combat Air Patrol.
>>>
>>> Notams: Notices issued to aircrews on what they might encounter en
>>> route.
>>>
>>> O-dark-30: Early in the morning.
>>
>> Army too.
>>
>>> Painted: Getting scanned by radar.
>>>
>>> PCS: Permanent Change of Station.
>>>
>>> POV: Privately Owned Vehicle. Your car as opposed to a GOV
>>> (government
>>> vehicle).
>>>
>>> Pucker factor: Level of anxiety experienced by aircrews.
>>>
>>> Puke: Somebody in a different career field as yours. For
>>> instance, an admin
>>> puke, PA puke, headquarters puke, etc.
>>
>> Above four are army too.
>>
>>> Punch out: Eject or bail from an aircraft. Sometimes used to say
>>> your going
>>> home for the day or leaving.
>>>
>>> Puzzle Palace: The Pentagon. Also known as Fort Fumble and the Fudge
>>> Factory.
>>>
>>> RHIP: Acronym for Rank Has Its Privileges
>>>
>>> ROAD: Retired On Active Duty.
>>>
>>> ROK: Pronounced Rock, short for Republic of Korea. Okinawa and
>>> Guam are also
>>> referred to as "rocks," because they are small islands.
>>>
>>> Sandbox: Saudi Arabia. Also called the "Desert" and the "Beach."
>>>
>>> Short: Ready to retire, separate or change duty stations.
>>>
>>> Sierra Hotel: Pilotspeak for "Super Hot!"

In the Army of my day, recruits (E-1's) and privates (E-2's) were
"slick sleeves," since only privates first class and above were awarded
chevrons. The single chevron of a PFC was called a "mosquito wing."

>>> SNAFU: Situation Normal, All Fouled Up.
>>>
>>> Target-rich environment: Pilotese for more targets than bombs.
>>>
>>> TDY: Temporary Duty
>>>
>>> The World: The United States, as in "When are you going back to
>>> the World?"
>>
>> Above four are army too.
>>
>>> Thule coolie: Someone stationed at Thule AB, Greenland.
>>>
>>> Trained killer: A recent graduate of technical school, such as "He's
>>> Keesler-trained killer."
>>
>> Army too.
>>
>>> Triple-A: Anti-Aircraft Artillery fire.
>>>
>>> Turn and burn: To service an aircraft quickly and get it airborne
>>> again.
>>> Also called a hot turn.
>>>
>>> Whitewalls: A hair cut high above the ears.

"White sidewalls" in the Army of my day.