"movie" compounds

Wed Dec 29 20:49:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:25:50 -0800, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>
>>Since Jon Lighter has joined this list since I posted this, I wonder
>>whether he might care to comment on whether he now regards the 1902
>>citation for "movie" in HDAS as discredited (as I recall, I and Sam
>>Clements both looked at the book in question and it wasn't there).
>
>I'm out of town at the moment without access to HDAS. If someone will
>post the cite in question I'll comment on it.

   1902 Jarrold _Mickey Finn_ (ad on rev. title):
   After the Movies "Murine" Your Eyes.

(OED3 gives the same cite with a date of 1903.)

Discussion by Fred Shapiro and Sam Clements here:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0310C&L=ads-l&P=R130
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0310C&L=ads-l&P=1518

--Ben Zimmer