"Rosco" (in "Dukes of Hazard") from cant "rosco" (pistol)?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 2 16:15:09 UTC 2004

Laurence Horn said:
>>In a message dated  Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:32:23 -0500, "Douglas G. Wilson"
>><douglas at NB.NET> says
>>
>>There is the town of Roscoe, Texas, which name dates back a ways.
>
>Not to be confused with Roscoe, NY, which is just down the road
>(Route 17 through the Catskills) a piece from the wonderfully yclept
>Fishs Eddy.  I don't know what Roscoe, NY is otherwise  known for.

The Roscoe Diner! It was the normally stopping-off point on drives
between NYC and Ithaca when I was a student at Cornell, and, for all
I know, it still is.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963