Re:       fireplug

Wed Feb 4 22:15:34 UTC 2004

My memory is that we used them interchangeably in Iowa in the 1940s and
1950s. I've never thought about why there are two words in my head for the same
thing, though introspection tells me that FIRE HYDRANT is the technically correct
term and FIREPLUG is a more informal term. But, again, I have no idea why!