fireplug

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Thu Feb 5 00:22:19 UTC 2004

Luanne von Schneidemesser wrote:

> Anyone know if fireplug (=fire hydrant) is regional?  If so, where?  A
> woman originally from Ohio says she uses it (and people laugh at her).  We
> didn't ask about this when interviewing for DARE.

I know both usages and I certainly wouldn't laugh at someone who used
"fireplug," but here in the San Francisco Bay area, a fire hydrant is a
fire hydrant and a fireplug is more likely used to describe someone like
Mary Lou Retton.

Checked the San Jose Mercury News archives to see whether I was giving
bum advice and found exactly ONE article in the archives using the word
"fireplug" -- Skip Bayless last November describing "fireplug rookie
Anthony Adams" in an article about a 49ers/Packers game.

--
Sal

Ye olde swarm of links: 4K+ links for writers, researchers and the
terminally curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers>