Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Fri Feb 6 16:50:42 UTC 2004

On Feb 5, 2004, at 10:10 AM, Richard A. Spears wrote:

> I wanted to add that a hydrant was more generic than a fireplug.
> There is a type of fire hydrant that looks like a four-inch pipe,
> rising out
> of
> the ground for about 24 inches, terminating in two, 90-degree turns
> with a
> water outlet
> on each of them.  These, and other similar, heavier bronze or steel
> fire
> hydrants were not
> called fireplugs in my recollection. A similar connection built into
> the
> wall of a building
> was also called a fire hydrant, even though these connections were
> used to
> pump water
> into the building's sprinkler system.

just so.  some buildings up the street from me in palo alto have such
connections, labeled HYDRANT.

arnold (zwicky at

More information about the Ads-l mailing list