call waiting and away message

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 6 20:46:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Dennis Baron wrote:

> I'm trying to discover early uses of "away message." just checked the
> oed and merriam webster on line and didn't find the term under away
> (they have away game) or message. any input greatly appreciated.

Here's the earliest I readily find on Nexis:

The Washington Times
July 12, 2001, Thursday, Final Edition

SECTION: PART C; METROPOLITAN; LIFE/SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY; Pg. C1

HEADLINE: Teens get the message

BYLINE: Katie Dunn; THE WASHINGTON TIMES

BODY:

Many of Ms. Casey's friends leave their IMs on all day, even when they are
not there, and leave "away messages." Away messages are like voice-mail
messages for phones. If friends send an IM to Ms. Casey while she has an
away message up, her friends will see it and be able to type a reply. Some
people constantly update their away messages with notices such as, "In the
shower or "Studying."

Fred Shapiro