"Nautch house"/"notch house"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sun Feb 8 18:06:26 UTC 2004

Since I assume these terms aren't generally spelled or found in print, the
change in spelling would seem to logically follow a change in
pronunciation, as Dennis said, i.e., to reflect the gradual merger in AmEng
of 'short o' =spelled 'o' and 'open o' =spelled 'au'.  It's the same
conflation seen in an old Dennis the Menace cartoon, where the family is at
a Christmas tree farm and (the merging) Dennis asks, "Do you have any
naughty pine?"
Thus lexical 'confusion' may have followed the respelling of a generally
oral usage to fit American English.  Even if two different meanings were
originally in use, lexical conflation appears to have followed the phonetic
conflation.  Possible?