Boat and Royal Family: Poker Terms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 11 04:29:58 UTC 2004

At 2:43 PM -0800 2/10/04, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>?I'm having a devil of a time confirming "boat" and "royal family" as terms
>for "full house" and "royal flush" respectively. My friends and I use them
>in poker all the time (Seattle).
>
>Can anyone confirm whether these are regional or common slang?

Boat is very general.  Royal family I've never heard, but then royal
flushes don't come up that often (although more often in wild-card
games).  Ooops, just saw Doug sent the same message (I remembered to
look at my mailer this time), but I'll send this anyway just to
confirm the point.  I've played in California, New England,
Wisconsin, and various places in between; (full) boat is indeed quite
general.  There are also various terms for the unfortunate 3-pair
hand and the superfluous two-trips hand, both occurring periodically
in 7-card games.

Larry