frypan/frying pan

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Feb 11 22:05:24 UTC 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 12:18 PM, Beverly Flanigan, following up to Larry
Horn, wrote:

> That reminds me: I think I also use "skillet" with "cast-iron";
> otherwise
> it's frying pan.

that's my usage exactly, learned from ann daingerfield zwicky some 44
years ago.  i still have the wonderful (but *heavy*) cast-iron (or
simply iron) skillets handed down through several daingerfield
generations (they fit together to make a dutch oven, even), plus a
smaller one bought and seasoned a mere 20 years ago.  everything else
that's fairly shallow and is used for frying, sauteing, etc. is a
frying pan.  there are no frypans.

ann once (like, 45 years ago) had an electric frying pan, so called by
her, though i *think* its makers thought it was an electric skillet.

this looks like a sofa/couch situation, where people seek to avoid
having full synonyms by specializing one or both items, but different
people do so in different ways.

arnold (zwicky at

More information about the Ads-l mailing list