ABB (Anyone But Bush); Astropreneurs; Parve, Hechsher (1933)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 12 02:35:39 UTC 2004

LOCATION-LOCATION-LOCATION

   Sam Clements checked Newspaperarchive.com.  The "1930" hit is from 1980.
But the earlier 1956 hit that I found in the VALLEY NEWS (Van Nuys, CA) is
legit.

ABB (ANYONE BUT BUSH)

When they say "ABB" (Anybody but Bush) they say it as if they really mean it.
---Christopher Hitchins in today's WALL STREET JOURNAL, 11 February 2004, pg.
A18, col. 5.

   I remember ABC (Anyone But Cuomo).  Unfortunately, that gave New Yorkers
George Pataki.
   ABB (Anyone/Anybody But Bush) makes less sense.  I suppose a "C" name is
no longer required?

ABB "BUT BUSH"--2060 Google hits, 243 Google Group hits

ASTROPRENEURS

   From the NEW YORK SUN, 10 February 2004, pg. 11, cols. 1-4 headline:
"Astropreneurs" Reach for the Stars While NASA Holds Meetings.
   Not in WordSpy.

ASTROPRENEUR--55 Google hits, 2 Google Group hits
ASTROPRENEURS--54 Google hits, 16 Google Group hits

PARVE, HECHSHER, (U), GLATT, KOSHER SALT

   I did a brief check after work and before the NYPL closed.  (ORTHODOX)
JEWISH LIFE began as the ORTHODOX UNION in 1933.

GLATT
   Spring 1965, JEWISH LIFE, pg. 80 ad:
WALDMAN HOTEL
Strictly Kosher Cuisine
Only Glatt Meats
On the Ocean at 43rd Street, Miami Beach
   (A similar ad in January-February 1964 did NOT have "Glatt."  The issue
before Spring 1965 is November-December 1964; the issue after is May-June
1965--ed.)

HECHSHER
   August 1933, ORTHODOX UNION, pg. 4, col. 1:
   Up to about nine years ago the Kashruth of articles labeled as "Kosher"
were frequently questioned because many a "Hechsher" was obtained for financial
consideration.

KOSHER SALT
   August 1933, ORTHODOX UNION, pg. 6, col. 1 ad:
KOSHER COARSE SALT
Independent Salt Company

(U)
   October 1933, ORTHODOX UNION, pg. 5 ad:
   Heinz 57 Varieties pure food products (U).

PARVE
   October 1933, ORTHODOX UNION, pg. 8 ad:
   Sunshine Kosher Crackers are as Kosher and "parve" as they are delicious!

(MERRIAM-WEBSTER has 1939 for "pareve" or "parve."  OED--"miserable on
food"--still has no entry--ed.)