Duty Free Zone (1947?), Fun Size (1968)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 19 03:32:27 UTC 2004

   Greetings from Panama City, Panama.  I leave for two days in David tomorrow.

DUTY FREE ZONE

   We visited the "duty-free zone" of Colon.  It`s also called "DFZ" or "free zone," or "EPZ" or "export processing zone."  This is the largest duty-free zone in the Americas, and the second-largest in the world after China (Hong Kong).
   I was told that it began in 1947.  OED doesn't have "duty-free zone," and OED's other "duty-free" definitions also appear to be way off.
   OT:  You could probably buy a Dell here and save some money, but the place is a little creepy.

(OED)
b. Comb. duty-free shop, a shop at an airport, on a boat, etc., at which duty-free goods can be bought.
  1965 Which? May 150/1 Not all airports have duty-free shops. 1969 Ibid. Mar. 79/1 Some ‘duty-free’ shop prices are too high. 1970 New Yorker 16 May 44/2 Maybe I should get him a gift at the duty-free shop. 1971 P. PURSER Holy Father's Navy iv. 22 We were already on the second of the two bottles we'd bought at the duty-free shop.

    B. n. A duty-free article; freq. used in pl., esp. of cigarettes, alcoholic drinks, etc., bought and imported free of duty by those returning from or travelling abroad; also, a duty-free shop. colloq.
 1958 Times 16 Sept. 10/7 The meagre stub in his mouth had burnt out and I offered him one of my duty-frees. 1980 J. GARDNER Garden of Weapons III. xii. 349 I'm going to march you into the duty free at Tegel and make you buy them. 1982 Economist 21 Aug. 64/1 A sample shopping basket of duty-frees costs almost twice as much on LB-Färjorna lines as it does at..Schiphol airport. 1985 Sunday Times 10 Mar. 12/1 (Advt.), During the flight, our cabin staff will be coming round with drinks and Duty-Frees.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Colon, Panama -(new title everyone!)
I'm curious as to know if the Duty Free Shopping in Colon, Panama, (a port of call
on Carnival Legend's western exotic itinerary) also known as the FREE ZONE ...
rec.travel.cruises - 23 Ene 2003 por Linda Coffman - Ver la conversación (6 artículos)

(GOOGLE)
http://www.grayline-panama.com/pty/english/sightseeing/shopping.htm
Early pick up at your hotel at 7am to depart for Colon City, where the Duty Free Zone is located. It is one of the most important distribution centers in the world for imports and re-exports for Latin america. Your purchases will be subjected to aduana formalities if you want to take out the merchandises with you. Take in consideration that the main purpose of this area is for wholesale sales, therefore many shops will require a minimum amount of sales to be able to honore your purchases. Alternatively the acquired products could be retired at the International Airport just before your departure from our country not being subject then to duties or taxes. However many shops in the city are branches of the Colon Duty Free Warehouses and can offer you Duty free prices in Panama if you have two days for the formalities needed to receive your merchandise at the airport. Stores as Audiofoto Internacional, Multimax, Collins among many others are trustworthy.
Note: You should bring your passport. It is open on working days only from Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please bear in mind that during the Jewish holidays

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Sheboygan Press - 12/9/1959
...election 82 to 81. The COLON FREE Zone of PANAMA, DUTY-FREE assembly and distribution.....Apply with brush, roller, floor brush. FREE 6-chip color chart Guaranteed by Good.....Refrigerator Plus this Deluxe camera Plus FREE film for life 1190 J All for Only Big 11..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin   Wednesday, December 09, 1959  711 k

FUN SIZE

   We toured the local supermarket for picnic-type stuff.  Snickers and Mars "fun-size" packages are sold here.
   I never understood "fun size."  Are all other sizes "grim"?  Would...ah...other, non-food items be considered "fun size"?
   The "fun size" term appears to be specific to Mars products.

(TRADEMARK)
Word Mark FUN SIZE
Goods and Services IC 030. US 046. G & S: CONFECTIONERY. FIRST USE: 19681100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19681100
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 73080331
Filing Date March 15, 1976
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 1050880
Registration Date October 19, 1976
Owner (REGISTRANT) MARS, INCORPORATED CORPORATION DELAWARE WESTGATE PARK 1651 OLD MEADOW ROAD MCLEAN VIRGINIA 22101
Attorney of Record LESLIE K MITCHELL
Prior Registrations 0990287
Disclaimer WITHOUT WAIVER OF OR PREJUDICE TO ITS COMMON LAW RIGHTS, APPLICANT DISCLAIMS ANY EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS IN THE WORD "SIZE" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 19970219