Neck of the woods

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Sat Feb 21 00:49:16 UTC 2004

A member of our English dept. recently asked me about this expression, and
now it's driving me crazy. I've poked around in various dictionaries, and
several of them have "neck of the woods" as an entry and an 1839 first
occurrence, but none hazards an explanation of its derivation.  If there's
a sense of "neck" that denotes "part" or "area" in any expression but this
one, I've missed it.  Extending the meaning of "woods" to mean something
like "neighborhood" is transparent enough, but I can't figure out how
"neck" could ever have been chosen to designate a part of a forest.

Perhaps I'm failing to see the forest for the trees.   Can anybody shed
light on the origins of this expression?

Peter Mc.