antedating of 'baby shower' (1911)

J. Eulenberg eulenbrg at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Jan 1 21:19:30 UTC 2004

You'll notice that this baby shower was given post-birth.  I believe that
many in those days felt it bad luck to have a shower before the baby was
born, and this is still true among certain groups (my son's Scottish
teacher, for example; some Jews).

Julia Niebuhr Eulenberg <eulenbrg at u.washington.edu>