Negroni (1947); Gerald Cohen's secret messages

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 3 03:52:39 UTC 2004

NEGRONI

   Another cocktail antedating!  We're piling these up!
   Jesse Sheidlower (He goes to Palm Beach; I do parking tickets 12 hours a
day in the Bronx) once asked me about the "negroni."  I had several "negroni"
citations from a drink book of 1951.  OED (Sept. 2003 revision) has an Ernest
Hemingway citation from 1950.  It was a humiliating one-year defeat--but, of
course, only temporary.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Coshocton Tribune - 12/17/1947
...that he's discovered a new drink there NEGRONIS. It's made of gin, Italian
vermouth..
Coshocton, Ohio Wednesday, December 17, 1947  573 k
   17 December 1947, COSHOCTON TRIBUNE (Coshocton, Ohio), pg. 5, col. 3 ("In
Hollywood" by Erskine Johnson):
   Orson Welles, working in "Cagliostro" in Rome, writes that he's discovered
a new drink there--Negronis.  It's made of gin, Italian vermouth and Campari
bitters.  "The bitters are excellent for your liver, the gin is bad for you.
They balance each other."

(Then again, Welles is the drink expert who pushed Paul Mason--ed.)

GERALD COHEN'S SECRET MESSAGES

   Gerald Cohen sent me this:

   I'm sending this to Barry Popik with the request that he forward it to
ads-l.  Somehow I have better luck sending e-mails to individuals rather than to
the entire ads-l list.

   Yesterday (Thursday) I sent two ads-l e-mails--this time from my son's
computer (in Chicago; I live in Missouri). When I return home tomorrow, I'll
resend the two messages from my own computer, and hopefully they'll arrive okay.

Gerald Cohen

ONE MESSAGE (I was able to read them--B.P.):

Subj:   "moded" from "outmoded"? [was: Re: new (or unfamiliar to me) words
from undergraduates]
Date:   1/1/2004 4:56:28 PM Eastern Standard Time

Might "moded" to designate failure/something stupid derive from
"outmoded"--say, in clothes or music?

Gerald

ANOTHER MESSAGE:

Subj:   Re: Antedating of 'pazazz' (1913)
Date:   1/1/2004 4:06:29 PM Eastern Standard Time

In a related vein, there's humorous "comme il spazaza" (1912, I believe), and
"Bazazaville" (humorous; mythical place; 1913); the latter is in the
newspaper _San Francisco Bulletin_ (baseball article), and the former is either there
or in the _S. F. Chronicle_.  I'll check when I have access again to my notes.

Meanwhile, in Sam Clements' quote below, the books and inkwell would most
likely have been thrown at someone's face, although my first reaction was that
"pazazz" here looks like a humorous euphemism of
"ass." Might there be additional attestations of "pazazz" that could clarify
just what's going on?

Gerald Cohen