Hamburger Sandwich (1901); French Dip (1951); 1938 Slang Article

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 3 18:35:58 UTC 2004

HAMBURGER SANDWICH

   Andy Smith sends along Charles Perry's discovery of "hamburger sandwich" in ProQuest's LOS ANGELES TIMES.  Everybody's gettin' into the act, as Jimmy Durante used to say.
   I've found "hamburger steak" served on bread in the 1880s.  I've recently e-mailed ProQuest about the CHICAGO TRIBUNE, but didn't get a response.  I expect the TRIBUNE will be ready soon to give us important insights into hamburger, hot dog, pizza, Greek salad, Thousand Island dressing, and more.
   Here's Perry's post: