Singular Y'all Come Back, Hear?

Sat Jan 10 15:50:31 UTC 2004

Yes, the formulaic "Y'all Come Back, Hear?" is often reported. As I recall, Richardson and others explain this as a kind of (genteel?) idiom meaning "Come back and bring your friends and family."
     Alternatively, for many speakers, it could be that singular/plural distinction is neutralized, just as explcit gender identification is neutralized in such currently popular structures as "Next, the researcher will need to take steps to insure that the privacy of her human subjects is protected." That is to say, just as this use of "her" is not valid evidence for the assertion that "her" now "means" either male or female, so to this speciallized use off "y'all" does not argue that native speakers generally think of "y'all" as a normal singular form, much less regularly use it that way.