"Eating Without Cutlery"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 20 07:40:44 UTC 2004

   Greetings this morning.

"EATING WITHOUT CUTLERY"--Sorry.  I asked to my guide to repeat what he said several times.  I later asked someone else at this hotel.  "Cat-rail"?  Why?  "Because it cats," I was told.  Oh, "cutlery."

ANDINKRA--OED seems to be down at the moment, but it had better have "Adinkra."  This literally means "farewell."  Adinkra cloth is famous, and there is a book of andinkra symbols used on the cloth.

JINX--I wouldn't even start to revise the etymology of "jinx."  Yes, "jinx" does mean "hoodoo."  But why?  When?  How?  We know that "hoodoo," then "jinks," then "jinx" became popular with baseball players.  We know it was/is slang.  Why not wait for the full text of PUCK (and LIFE) and search for "jinks" and "jinx"?  Why not wait for the full text CHICAGO TRIBUNE (good baseball slang)?  I do not state that CAPTAIN JINKS is the end of the story, but I simply cannot completely disregard it as Doug does.