Montagnards & 9 yards proposal

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Jan 20 09:41:55 UTC 2004

It is OK with me if Gerald Cohen or anyone else on this list wishes to write a
report or note on this etymology proposal using appropriate standards of
citation. I ask that you send me a URL (not an attachment) if it's online and
if it's a paper
publication a copy by snail mail. Offline email for snailmail address or
bibliography questions. And, of course, please let me and us know of any other
early uses that turn up.

Thanks for the confirmation of the 1949-->1994 correction; I read some of the
list archives, but missed that.

Doug, the "...untangled the whole nine yards" use is from 1991, Doom Pussy II,
p. 68, also by Elaine Shepard; she could have used earlier notes, but it is a
different book than the 1967 publication.

Stephen Goranson