1913 slang "gazipe"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Jan 23 01:56:27 UTC 2004

On Dec. 25, 2003, Barry Popik sent an ads-l message reproducing a
June 4, 1913 _Fort Wayne Sentinel_ article with various slang items.
My particular interest now is "gazipe", which the article's author
attributes to St. Louis and which seems to mean "the latest slang." I
don't find it listed in _HDAS_ or Jonathon Green's _Cassell's
Dictionary of Slang_.

   Are there other attestations of this term? And what might its etymology be?

Gerald Cohen
P.S. In the Fort Wayne Sentinel article below, see the top boxed
items and the next to the last line.

[excerpt from Fort Wayne Sentinel article]: